Problems Arise When Homeowners Try to Fix Their Own Air Conditioning Malfunctions
Because many an HVAC Newport News Va company charges an arm and a leg for their services, homeowners often try to save money by doing the work required to fix the problem(s) themselves. For the seasoned HVAC homeowner, it sometimes makes sense to do the work themselves. However, the average person trying their hand at DIY repairs will run into many problems.
At the end of this article, we will discuss things that the average homeowner can do around the house to fix their problems. But first, let’s look at some of the things that can go wrong when a person mistakenly considers themselves competent for a highly technical job.
Let’s begin by considering the very technical nature of a popular air conditioning system type:
Here we see the main components of an air conditioning system. The parts of a typical air conditioning unit form a closed system consisting of a compressor, a condenser, an expansion valve and a thermostat. The conditioned air is circulated by motorized fans and allows the heat to dissipate quickly. The evaporator, not seen in this diagram, is the cold part of an air conditioner or heat pump that absorbs or adds heat to the system. Evaporators can be used to absorb heat from air or a liquid. Most homeowners underestimate the complexity of the AC system, and are surprised when problems quickly escalate. For further details on the complexity of AC repair Newport News Va, click here.
Freon also is a major part of your AC system. Freon is the refrigerant used in air conditioners, and it does a lot of work to keep your family cool. Because of the atmospheric damage caused by mishandling Freon (it destroys the ozone layer), only licensed experts at Air conditioning Virginia Beach can handle Freon. Serious fines can be levied against the homeowner who tries to work with Freon without this license.
Because of the highly technical components in an air conditioner, we recommend calling a quality HVAC Williamsburg Va company like A-1 American Services to perform the necessary repairs. Do-it-yourself mistakes can actually completely break the air conditioning unit by doing amateur repairs, requiring a costly new AC unit. Contact A-1 American Services today by calling (757) 425-2400, or send us your information online by clicking here.
Repairs Homeowners Can Safely Perform
Despite their complexity, there are several minor adjustments and repairs that most homeowners can safely perform to their HVAC Williamsburg Va systems:
- If you come home to a cold or hot house, you can try to repair the thermostat, if you think that may help. Does it need a new battery? Often this is the case. You should also make sure the thermostat is set to the temperature you’d like.
- You can check the circuit breaker to make sure the system is even on. If this is the problem, it should come back on when you reset the breaker.
- Check your air filters around the vents in the house. If they’re too dirty, replacement filters can be bought cheaply at your local hardware store.
- If your problem is with your heating system, make sure there is enough fuel for your system to burn and heat your home.
- If you want another do-it-yourself AC repair Newport News Va, and your system is outdoors, keep the AC system clear of leaves and other debris that can stop a blower fan from working.
A-1 American provides air conditioning, heating and plumbing services to homes and businesses in the Hampton Roads Virginia cities of Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Suffolk, Newport News and Hampton and north into Williamsburg. A-1 American provides emergency service and repair, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, including weekends and holidays. A-1 American charges by the job, not by the hour. A-1 American prides itself on immediate response, punctuality, courtesy and customer satisfaction. Call us today: Southside 757-425-2400 Peninsula 757-595-9900 Williamsburg 757-565-1900