Plumbing Poquoson Va,
Is Your Plumbing Ready For Winter?
As the winds turn colder and we trade our short sleeve shirts for sweaters, it’s time to start thinking about preparing our home’s plumbing for freezing temperatures. Icy temperatures can cause problems for a home’s pipes, and can lead to leaks or flooding. Taking preventative measures before winter comes is the best way to avoid burst pipes or other plumbing issuesÂ in Poquoson. This area of Hampton Roads is at risk in part because it is a city surrounded by water, creating much colder conditions than a land-locked city.
Why Pipes Burst
It is logical to think that pipes simply burst because of the ice forming within them in freezing temperatures; however that is not really the cause. According to weather.com the “continued freezing and expansion inside the pipe causes water pressure to increase downstream â€” between the ice blockage and a closed faucet at the end. It’s this increase in water pressure that leads to pipe failure. Usually the pipe bursts where little or no ice has formed.” Preparing your pipes and faucets for low temperatures is a way to prevent pipes from bursting.
5 Ways to Prepare Your Plumbing For Freezing Temperatures
There are ways you can armor your plumbing so that pipe bursts do not happen. Here are things you can do to prevent winterÂ plumbing Newport News VaÂ problems:
- Insulate your water pipes. If there are any pipes in non-insulated locations such as in crawl spaces and garages, wrap them in pipe insulation foam or insulation tape. You can find these products at your local hardware store.
- Fix leaky faucets indoors and outdoors. These can especially cause problems including damage and flooding during freezing temperatures.
- Disconnect garden hoses. If ice forms where the hose is connected or the water in the hose itself freezes, pressure can build up in the waterlines inside your home. This can lead to waterline leaks or bursts. Remember that all of your piping is connected. Insulating the spigot is an extra measure that you can take.
- Winterize your irrigation system by turning the water off and draining your sprinkler system. For DIY instructions on how to do this click here.
- Perform maintenance on yourÂ water heater Poquoson VaÂ to ensure that you will have hot water during the winter. Nothing would be worse than a cold shower when it is cold outside. Maintenance is also beneficial because it will improve the life of your water heater.
By following these steps your home’s plumbing will be ready for winter.
When winter arrives and a problem arises and a pipe bursts, you will need to find the water main, shut it off and call for emergency assistance. Before there is ever an issue you should learn where your water main is located. The main water shut-off valve is where you will be able to turn off the water immediately, to minimize damage. Then you will need to call a professional.
A-1 American Services offers emergency services 24 hours a day, 7 days a week for problems with Plumbing Poquoson Va
For further tips visit about.com “Checklist To Winterize Plumbing in the Home.”
If you need plumbing repair Poquoson VaÂ and looking for plumbers in Virginia Beach or anywhere in Hampton Roads, you can count on A-1 American Services for fast 24/7 emergency service. Call us today: Southside 757-425-2400 Peninsula 757-595-9900 Williamsburg 757-565-1900
A-1 American Services provides air conditioning, heating and plumbing services to homes and businesses in the Hampton Roads Virginia cities of Virginia Beach, Chesapeake, Norfolk, Portsmouth, Suffolk, Newport News and Hampton and north into Williamsburg. A-1 American Services provides emergency service and repair, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, including weekends and holidays. A-1 American Services charges by the job, not by the hour. A-1 American prides itself on immediate response, punctuality, courtesy and customer satisfaction.